Old Fort William: Nursery of Calcutta City, 1700-1757
East India Company Hall – An aquatint By Thomas Rowlandson and Augustus Charles Pugin, (after) John Bluck (aquatint engravers). – Source: Microcosm of London (1809)
Old Fort, Playhouse and Holwell’s Monument. – Aquatint with etching (col.) by Daniell, Thomas. 1786
Old Fort Ghaut – Coloured etching with aquatint by Thomas Daniell. 1787
Fort William with St Anne’s Church by Gerge Lambert. c.1730.
Chowringhee Road. 1787. Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas
Fort William, Govindpore. Chowringhee Gate. Photographer: unidentified. 1880’s Source: eBay,
Chowringhee area aerial view. Photographer: Samuel Bourne. c1870
A wide-angled view of Chowringhee area, Wood engravings by unidentified artist. Source: The Graphic, 1875.
Chowringhee Road near Park Street crossing. Details not known. Source: Wikiwand
Chowringhee View from the Verandah of the Bishop’s Palace in Calcutta. Watercolour with pen and ink. Artist: James, Marianne Jane. 1828
A carriage approaching Barrackpore House. Artist: Daniell, William. c1810. Courtesy:
Government House Walk. Photographer: Bourne, Samuel. c1865
Menagerie at Barrackpore. Artsit: Charles D’Oyly. 1848. Courtesy: BL
British Library; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation
A view of Serampore Artist: Fraser, James Baillie 1826. Courtesy: BL
Unveiling of Statue of Outram on Horseback, modelled by John Foley. Bourne and Shephard. 1874
View of Eden Gardens Calcutta. Creator: Samuel Bourne. Sig.date:1902.
Racecourse Calcutta. Viceroy’s Cup Day. Creator: Johnston & Hoffmann in 1845
The Ochterlony Monument is an iconic landmark of Calcutta. It was designed by J. P. Parker and erected by Burn & Company in 1828, on the north-eastern side of Calcutta Maidan. The Monument was dedicated to the memory of Major-general Sir David Ochterlony, a commander of the British East India Company. He was commemorated for his successful defense of Delhi against the attack of the Maratha Yaswantrao Holkar in 1804, and also for the victory of the East India Company in the Anglo- Nepalese War of 1814 to 1816. The expenditure regarding the construction and the foundation of the monument was paid from the public fund. The ‘Cloud kissing Monument’ as Mark Twain called it, is 48 metres (157 ft) high.
It has a foundation based on the Egyptian style. The column is a combination of styles The column is a combination of styles with a classical fluted column, a Syrian upper portion, and a Turkish dome. It has two balconies at the top. The top floor is accessible by a serpentine staircase of 223 steps.
Ground of the Calcutta Cricket Club, 15th July 1861. Creator: Percy Carpentier. 1861. Courtesy: MCC Museum at Lords
Chowringhee Road. Middleton Street
Chowringhee Road. General Post Office, Lindsay Street, Manohur Doss Tank Tank
Chowringhee Road. Elliot’s Tank. Harrington St
Chowringhee Road. Park Street
Chowringhee Road. Theatre Road. Theatre
Chowringhee Road. Jaun Bazaar
Chowringhee Road. Speke Street
Chowringhee Road. The Bishop’s Palace
Chowringhee Road. General’s Tank 1833x
Saturday Club, Wood Street, Calcutta, 1900
Steuart and Company : House, Manufactory and Bazar, Tank Square, 1795
Armenian Ghat, Calcutta